Friday, July 5, 2013

Potted Outdoor Herb Garden

Happy Friday friends! I hope you have some fun plans for the weekend with a bit of time to relax thrown in too!

Last weekend we made our weekly trip to our local Home Depot and while there I purchased three planters that were on sale for half price, some Miracle Grow potting soil that was also half price and three herb plants - cilantro, basil and oregano. Total cost including taxes $ 29.03.

I finally had the time last evening to plant them. I really enjoy cooking and I find fresh herbs really add flavor and depth to any dish. Nothing beats adding fresh herbs that you have grown into your soups, casseroles, salads, etc.

Last year I planted herbs indoors and they were an epic fail. Where I located them didn't get a lot of sun so they died. Lesson learned - herbs need lots of sun to survive!

I simply filled the pots with potting soil and loosened the root ball . I put the plant in the soil as close to center as possible, covered the base with soil and watered them.



The deck gets full sun so the herbs should thrive there wonderfully and I placed them in a location on the deck just off the kitchen for easy and quick access while I am cooking.

Have you planted any herbs this year? Did you put them in the ground or in a pot?

No comments:

Post a Comment